Blacksburg residents - Per town ordinance Section 17-308 - Open burning prohibited, open burning is prohibited within town limits without approval.
Montgomery County residents not within another jurisdiction - Open burning is permitted when performed in accordance with appropriate laws and safe practices.
- Contact the regional 911 authority using their non-emergency number (see below)
- Beware of power lines, trees, and structures
- Clear all flammable materials around the fire
- Have water and hand tools, such as a shovel or rake, available
- Have a method of communication available or someone nearby who can call for help if necessary
- Burn when humidity is high and the wind is calm
- Observe the annual burn ban (see below), and check the wildfire danger risk before burning
- Stay with the fire until it is completely out
All open burning must be reported to the New River Valley Emergency Communications Regional Authority serving Montgomery County, Town of Blacksburg, Town of Christiansburg, and Campus of Virginia Tech. Failure to report fires and use safe practices could result in a response from the local fire department and result in fines or other consequences.
Prior to burning, please report your planned burn to the regional 911 center by calling (540) 382-4343
For emergencies, please dial 911
4 P.M. Burning Law
Regardless of the above ordinances, the state of Virginia limits outdoor burning during certain times of the year to reduce the likelihood of wildfires. The 4 p.m. Burning Law is in effect from February 15 through April 30 of each year.